Wednesday, October 26, 2011

African Culture

How will I preserve my child's culture? This question should be, How WONT I? Besides having him maintain his lovely lovely language of French...I shall cook him divine meals from his country on a weekly basis. I will be bugging my family to buy me this precious cookbook among other congo books from amazon.com for christmas

There are many many cookbooks, not just for congo but for other african dishes. However this one was the best for 'congo' recipes that I could find.

http://www.congocookbook.com/recipe_indexes
This website also has tons of recipes listed for free, and I know if I did some research I could probably find more from any recipe website.


I will be attending cultural events, festivals, drumming or dancing workshops, movies about Africa and so many other things. Vancouver is such a diverse place to live and I am so lucky our son would have access to so much of his culture due to all of the many outlets Vancouver has in place...from the African peace festival, to Drumming workshops to African art exhibits to African markets and symphony's....there will be no shortage of cultural happenings in the life of our child. I also found this AMAZING meetup group, they find all the latest events and then you can meetup with them. So that will be good to, meet up with like minded people interested in African culture. For all you Vancouver adopting mommas check them out and JOIN!
http://www.meetup.com/african-24/events/past/#past

Hopefully I will also be able to get in touch with some Vancouver moms adopting from Africa...if you are one, drop me a line in the comment box...I would love to meet up and share frustrations!

I will also be sharing music and movies from my sons country with him. As well as keeping up to date with the latest news and happenings in his country. This website is amazing and does all of those things and more.
http://www.congoplanet.com/music.jsp The live tv and radio on that site is pretty much the coolest thing ever!
This is where I will go to find movies relating to congo/Africa:
http://www.imdb.com/keyword/africa/


There are so many ways to keep the culture alive in your child, I am mystified that this would even be an issue. Simply typing in 'congo' into EBAY yields hundreds of congo made or congo styled wares to purchase. The options are limitless. I think I am going to have more fun exploring his culture then he actually will. I have already been watching youtube videos of the Congo soccer team! Heheehe.

If any of you have found any neat congo websites/ resources/ anything please spread the word and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment