Thursday, November 3, 2011

Adoption class 1/5



So yesterday we attended our adoption class, it was our first day out of five days. It was awesome, the people are fantastic. It was so interesting to learn about all of the different countries everyone is adopting from. We are the only Congo bound parents! I have to admit i was a teeny tiny bit disappointed in that. I was hoping to connect with someone who was going through exactly what I was or even someone who was ahead of me in the journey so i could get an idea of what to expect. Currently I don't have any congo mommies to talk to. I tried to befriend one on facebook, I have been following her blog, but she didn't accept me...so I am on my own for now!

When i first got to the class ( we were SO early ) we started noticing that as more and more couples came in that we were the youngest. I admit it had me feeling a little out of place. Most seemed rather established as they were in their late 30s or even older! ( I am 25, but i am constantly told that i look far younger than that ) We got a few stares, but once people got to know us they realized that we weren't a couple of crazy kids, acting on whim, we are serious and passionate about our adoption and want this just as much as they do. I can't even speak enough about how lovely the people were, I definitely don't mind doing another 4 classes with them!


We also talked to the social workers about some of our fears and worries. What a relief to have them calm our doubts. ( Doubts about ourselves, not our adoption ) I finally have begun to feel like this is truly going to happen for us. We are going to finally get the chance to become parents. We CAN and WILL do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment